Monday 20 August 2012

Welcome

I've created this blog to document my attempt at getting a working Amiga system on MacOS X. For a years, Windows has been well served by the excellent WinUAE. An industrious bunch of programmers have sought to produce something similar for other operating systems: for instance, Richard Drummond's E-UAE was a very competent and portable emulator, appearing on a variety of operating systems.

A relatively new addition to this is FS-UAE by Frode Solheim. The focus is this version is games, so I'm expecting a very accurate emulation. It comes with a built-in interface to allow easy selection of games with a joypad or joystick, making it perfect for media PCs and consoles with Linux installed when attached to a TV.

Why am I doing this? Blame it on nostalgia. I used to be quite the Amigan, and was active in the Amiga community until 2009. This was due to my growing interest in photography, and my need for RAW conversion of photos. Until then, however, the Amiga was the only computer I had in the house.

I started out with an A500 and the Batman pack in my childhood, before upgrading to an A1200 on release. That A1200 became the Frankenstein machine, eventually having a PPC accelerator, 96 MB of Fast RAM, two hard drives, a CD/RW drive, PCI backboard with Voodoo 3 graphics card, sitting in a tower case and connected to a broadband connection. This was later superseded by the AmigaOne with G4 PPC processor and 2 GB of RAM.

Anyway, enough history - on with the emulation!

No comments:

Post a Comment